Thursday, January 24, 2013

Journalism 6.01: My Interest Inventory

              My first career choice in Journalism was that of an obituary writer… I know it’s not a very common or popular choice of journalism, but I think that it would be quite interesting to write about the past lives of the dead. After some intense searching though, I could not find any listings for that Career choice. What I did find was a listing for an editorial writing position; which is also something that holds my interest as a career path.
             The Editorial listing I found is for the newspaper company, The Florida Times Union, and is located in Jacksonville, Florida. This is a full time job and the salary is an open matter. The employers prefer someone who has a 4 year degree and is an experienced editorial writer (at least 10 years of Journalism under the belt). The skills that are required to gain this position are great communication skills including public speaking knowledge, highly developed reporting and writing skills, quick creative thinking, open-mindedness, a great attention to detail, great time management and punctuality skills, multitasking skills, and reliable transportation. This job will also include working for Jacksonville.com and representing The Times Union in public.



Resource cited: NABJ.org, Career Center, Retrieved January 24, 2012: http://careerservices.nabj.org/jobs/5100609?utm_source=BoxwoodIndeed&utm_medium=Indeed&utm_campaign=Boxwood%2BIndeed%2BFeed

Interest Machine Quiz
    I prefer the written word, printed text, Weekly deadlines, and writing. The interest machine told me that my journalism career path should be in the field of a weekly newspaper or magazine reporter. Both of these two fields are of great interest to me and would suite me perfectly. I prefer the written word rather than the spoken word, due to the fact that when speaking I tend to get tongue tied and lose my train of thought; but when I’m writing words tend to flow easily and I can go back and check my errors, until I find my work perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment